We are committed to collecting and using Personal Data in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Wherever we collect or use this data, we will make sure we do this for a valid legal reason. This will be for at least one of the following purposes:
- to arrange, underwrite or manage our products, including the handling of claims
- to meet responsibilities we have to our regulators, tax officials, law enforcement, or otherwise meet our legal responsibilities
We can only collect and use sensitive Personal Data in limited circumstances such as:
- where we have obtained your explicit consent,
- where we need this data to arrange, underwrite or manage our products or to handle claims,
- where we have another legal basis for doing so.
We collect and use your relevant Personal Data in order to provide you with your insurance cover or the insurance cover that benefits you. In order to arrange insurance cover and handle any insurance claims, Lonham and other participants in the insurance industry are required to use and share Personal Data. This data includes details such as your name, address and contact details and any other data that we collect about you in connection with the insurance cover from which you benefit. This data may include more sensitive details such as data about your health and any criminal convictions you may have. Personal data may be collected directly from the insured or from another insurance market participant.
During the insurance lifecycle, Lonham may receive Personal Data relating to potential or actual policyholders, beneficiaries under a policy, their family members, claimants and other parties involved in a claim. Therefore references to “individuals” in this notice include any living person from the preceding list, whose Personal Data Lonham receives in connection with the services it provides under its engagements with its clients. This notice sets out Lonham’s uses of this Personal Data and the disclosures it makes to other insurance market participants and other third parties.
For an overview of how and why the insurance industry is required to use and share Personal Data please see the Insurance Market Core Uses Data Notice hosted on the website of a UK insurance industry association, the London Market Group (the LMA Notice). Lonham’s use of Personal Data is consistent with the LMA Notice.
How will we use the data about you?
Lonham respects your privacy and will not sell, rent or loan any Personal Data collected and will only use your Personal Data in ways to which you have consented. Any Data that you give Lonham will be treated with the utmost care and security and will remain completely confidential.
In order to arrange, underwrite or manage your insurance cover, or handle claims, your Personal Data may be passed to or from selected/relevant third parties and, where we are lawfully requested to do so, regulatory authorities. Such third parties, (including, for example, brokers, reinsurers, service providers, and fraud detection agencies)may have access to your Personal Data in order to perform the relevant service. They may not, however, use your Personal Data for any other purposes and are required to process your Personal Data in accordance with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulations.
Protecting Information Outside the UK and EEA
Some of the organisations we share information with may be located outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"). We will always take steps to ensure that any transfer of information outside the EEA is carefully managed to protect your privacy rights:
- where we transfer your data to non-Lonham or Chaucer Group members or other companies providing us with a service, we will obtain contractual commitments and assurances from them to protect your Personal Data. Some of these assurances are well recognised certification schemes such as standard contractual clauses and the EU - U.S. Privacy Shield for the protection of personal information transferred from within the EU to the United States of America
- we will only transfer your Personal Data to countries which are recognised as providing an adequate level of legal protection or where we can be satisfied that alternative arrangements are in place to protect your privacy rights.
Access to your data and correction
You have the right to request a copy of the Data that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your Personal Data, please email or write to us at the address provided below.
We want to make sure that your Personal Data is accurate and up to date. You may ask us to correct or remove information you think is inaccurate.
Under certain conditions, individuals have the right to request Lonham to:
- provide further details on how we use and process their Personal Data;
- provide a copy of the Personal Data we maintain about the individual;
- update any inaccuracies in the Personal Data we hold;
- delete Personal Data that we no longer have a legal ground to process; and
- restrict how we process the Personal Data while we consider the individual’s enquiry.
In addition, under certain conditions, individuals have the right to:
- where processing is based on consent, withdraw the consent;
- object to any processing of Personal Data that Lonham justifies on the “legitimate interests” legal grounds, unless our reasons for undertaking that processing outweigh any prejudice to the individual’s privacy rights; and
- object to direct marketing (including any profiling for such purposes) at any time.
These rights are subject to certain exemptions to safeguard the public interest (e.g., the prevention or detection of crime) and our interests (e.g., the maintenance of legal privilege). We will respond to most requests within 30 days.
If we are unable to resolve an enquiry or a complaint, individuals have the right to contact the UK data protection regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Lonham will only keep your Personal Data for as long as is necessary and for the purpose for which it was originally collected. In particular, for so long as there is any possibility that either you or we may wish to bring a legal claim under this insurance, or where we are required to keep your Personal Data due to legal or regulatory reasons